Moroccan Style Potato Salad using Ras al Hanout - Creamy Middle Eastern Potato Salad
Recipe type: Potatoes
A couple of episodes back I featured Moroccan chicken tagine using the signature Moroccan spice blend Ras al Hanout. Today we're using the same spice blend to make an amazing Moroccan flavored potato salad.
For the Ras al Hanout Spice Blend (Grind everything until fine in your spice grinder)
- 7.5ml Ground cumin
- 7.5ml Ground ginger
- 7.5ml Turmeric
- 7.5ml Salt
- 6.25ml Ground cinnamon
- 10ml Whole black peppercorns
- 5ml Ground white pepper
- 3.75ml Ground coriander seed
- 7.5ml Chilli powder
- 7.5ml Whole allspice berries
- 3.75ml Ground nutmeg
- 2.5ml Ground cloves
For the Recipe
- 6 Medium potatoes (about 1kg)
- Handful of garlic chives
- 150g Caramel condensed milk
- 150g Tangy mayonnaise
- 150g Cultured sour cream
- 1 Medium onion
- Parsley to garnish
- 45ml of the Ras al Hanout spice blend
- 5ml Dried chilli flakes
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 30ml Butter
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Place these in a medium size pot and pour in enough boiling kettle water to cover.
- Place the pot over high heat and cook the potatoes until tender. You can check the tenderness with a skewer.
- Drain the potatoes and put them aside.
- Dice the onion and chop the chives.
- Use your scale to weigh out the caramel condensed milk, mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Measure out the Ras al Hanout, dried chilli flakes and butter.
- Use the fine grated to grate the zest of one large lemon.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter is bubbling add the Ras al Hanout and chilli flakes. Stirfry this until very fragrant.... about 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon zest and stir this in.
- Pour in the caramel, mayonnaise and sour cream and stir this around until everything is well combined. This will take a minute or 2.
- Add the onions and chives and stir these in.
- Season the sauce with salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce into the potatoes and stir it in until everything is well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled before serving.
- Serve garnished with a generous dose of fresh parsley and enjoy.