Super Crispy McDonald's Style Hash Browns - Golden Crispy Hash Browns at Home!!!
Recipe type: Potatoes / Fast Food
Hash browns make an amazing snack, accompaniment or garnish while adding a delicious crunch to any meal. These hash browns are particularly crispy and crunchy and unlike most hash browns the crispiness lasts for ages.
- 4 Medium potatoes
- 60ml White vinegar
- 60ml Corn starch
- 60ml Rice flour
- 5ml Ground white pepper
- 5ml Garlic flakes
- 5ml Salt
- Oil for frying
- Peel the potatoes and grate them using the coarse side of the grater.
- Place the grated potato in a mixing bowl and add the vinegar. Mix this in briefly and allow the potato to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in enough boiling kettle water to cover the potato and allow this to stand for 5 minutes. The vinegar liberates the starch from the potato while the hot water dissolves the separated starch. You will actually see the milky starch in the water.
- Drain the shredded potato and rinse it thoroughly under cold running water. Squeeze most of the excess water from the potato and return it to the mixing bowl.
- Pour in the cornstarch and rice flour a little at a time, mixing it in thoroughly after each addition.
- Pour in the ground white pepper, garlic flakes and salt and mix these in thoroughly.
- Pour the potato out into an 8 inch or 20cm square baking tin.
- Spread the mixture out evenly compressing it and flattening it as you go.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the surface.
- Transfer the pan to your refrigerator for 60 minutes. This chills the mixture while the flour autolyses.
- After 60 minutes transfer the pan to your freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and turn the potato out onto a chopping board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the potato into 9 equal squares. You can leave them as squares, or cut each one in half diagonally to make triangles.
- Fill a large pan with oil to a depth of a half inch and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the hash browns into oil and fry them for 15 to 20 minutes turning every few minutes to ensure even coloring.
- Remove the hash browns from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Season the hash browns with fine salt and serve immediately.