Grissini Sticks - Pencil Crackers - Pretzel Sticks - Thanksgiving Special 2017
Recipe type: Bread
With Thanksgiving just days away, these grissini sticks make a perfect entre' to grace the start of your feast. Sometimes called pencil crackers or pretzel sticks, you can coat the snacks with salt, sesame seeds or poppy seeds, or any combination of these.
- 500g All-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 140ml Water
- 60ml Sunflower oil
- 2 Eggs (plus 1 for spraying)
- To start, measure out 500g of all-purpose flour, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 140ml water and 60ml sunflower oil.
- Place all of these in your food processor.
- Pop the lid on and process on high speed for about 60 seconds.
- Tipping the processor from side to side helps to achieve a more even mix.
- You will end up with a fine crumbly dough that resembles cous cous.
- When pressed, the mixture will hold together very well.
- Tip the dough out onto your work surface and compress it into a block.
- Wrap the block in cling-wrap and allow this to stand for 30 minutes before continuing.
- After this time, unwrap the dough and cut it into 4 pieces.
- Working with 1 piece at a time, flatten a piece out.
- Run this through your pasta roller.
- Continue folding the dough after each pass and running it through on setting 1 until you have a tidy sheet. This will take 3 to 4 passes.
- Reduce the setting to 2 and run it through again.
- If the dough starts to feel sticky, sprinkle will flour and rub this into the surface.
- Reduce the setting to 3 and run the dough through twice on this setting.
- Square off the ends and continue with the remaining 3 pieces.
- The offcuts can be rerolled to make a fifth sheet.
- Run the sheets through the 6mm pasta cutter to cut the sheets into strips.
- Line 3 large baking sheets with baking parchment and arrange the strips on the trays with just a few millimetes between each strip.
- Whisk a large egg with 50ml of water and pour this into a misting bottle. Spray the egg wash over the pastry.
- Grind salt over the damp strips and you're ready to go.
- Here you can also use seeds as previously mentioned.
- Bake the strips in a preheated oven at 220c or 450f for 10 to 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Transfer the sticks to a tall pilsner glass to create a fantastic table display.
- Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, please like, subscribe and share and we'll see you again tomorrow.