Pizza Crackers! Yes, make amazing pizza flavored crackers at home!
Recipe type: Snacks
Cuisine: America, Italian
Pizza crackers really do taste just like traditional pizza. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!
- 1.5 Cups All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Cream of tartar
- 10ml Yeast
- 5ml Sugar
- ½ Cup Finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 35g Butter
- 90ml Water
- 30ml Olive oil
- 1 Egg whisked with 30ml water
- Italian herb mix (see below)
- Himalayan rock salt
For the herb mix:
- ▢2 tablespoons dried basil
- ▢2 tablespoons dried oregano
- ▢1 tablespoons dried rosemary
- ▢2 tablespoons dried parsley
- ▢1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ▢1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sift 1 and a half cups of all purpose flour into a large mixing bowl. Add a quarter teaspoon salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Follow this with 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. And last, but not least, a half cup of finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano. Use a whisk to mix this all together thoroughly, then put this to one side.
- In a small saucepan, combine 35g of butter, 90ml water and 30ml olive oil. Heat the pan over medium heat only until the butter has melted. As soon as the butter has melted, remove from the heat.
- Pour the flour mixture into your food processor and start the machine on medium speed. Drizzle the melted butter mixture in through the tube. Mix until the dough comes together and there are no visible dry spots in the dough.
- Turn the dough out and compress it into a ball. Place the ball in a bowl and cover with clingwrap. Place the dough in your refrigerator to autolyse for at least 6 hours, preferably over night.
- The following day, remove the dough from your refrigerator and allow it to warm up for 15 minutes. Divide the dough in half and knead each half briefly until the dough is smooth. Roll to dough out to a thickness of 2mm.
- Use a roller cutter to cut the dough into small bite-size squares of around 30mm in size. Transfer the pastry squares to a large sheet pan lined with baking parchment.
- Whisk one egg with 30ml water and brush this onto the crackers liberally. Do this in batches to guarantee that the wash will still be wet when applying the herbs.
- Sprinkle the herbs liberally over the wet crackers and add a generous grind of Himalayan rock salt. Continue until all the crackers are flavored.
- Bake the crackers in a preheated oven at 210c or 410f for 12-14 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow the crackers to cool completely in the pan before storing them in an airtight container.
- This recipe will make approximately 60 amazing pizza flavored crackers for you to enjoy.