Pickled Onion Rings -Turbo-Charge Your Burgers, Salads & Garnishes with Pickled Onion Rings!
Recipe type: Pickling and preserving
Pickled onion rings are great way to turbo charge any burger, and they also work fantastically as garnishes and salads with just about any meal.
- 800g Onions (white or red)
- 3Tbs Non-iodated salt
- 110g Sugar
- 2.5ml Coriander seed
- 2.5ml Mustard seed, or coarsely ground mustard
- 2.5ml Black peppercorns
- Pickled onion rings are great way to turbo charge any burger, and they also work fantastically as garnishes and salads with just about any meal.
- To start, you'll need 800g onions.
- Top and tail the onions and remove the skins.
- Cut each onion through the center lengthways and cut the halves into slices of 3mm in thickness.
- Place the sliced onion in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Measure 3 tablespoons of non-iodated salt, either pickling salt, kosher salt or Himalayan.
- Sprinkle this over the onion and mix it in thoroughly.
- Allow the onions to stand for 60 minutes.
- While the onions sweat, place 110g sugar, 2.5ml coriander seed, 2.5ml mustard seed, or roughly ground mustard and 2.5ml black pepper corns in a saucepan.
- Pour in 750ml white wine vinegar.
- Heat the pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Lower temperature and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes.
- While this continues, rinse and strain the onions.
- Place a sterilised 1 liter jar in a saucepan, and fill it with the onion rings.
- Pour hot water, not boiling water, into the pot around the jar. This will minimize any thermal shock to the glass when the boiling vinegar is added.
- Strain the vinegar through a sieve or coffee filter and pour it into the jar until the onions are completely covered.
- Any leftover vinegar mixture can be refrigerated for your next batch.
- Clip the jar closed and allow the bottle to cool in the water.
- The onions will last indefinitely stored in a cool dark place, however, they should be refrigerated once opened.
- (pickled onion rings,pickled onion rings recipe,how to make pickled onion rings,homemade pickled onion rings)
pickled onion rings,pickled onion rings recipe,how to make pickled onion rings,homemade pickled onion rings