Russian Apple Cake (quick n simple)
Recipe type: Cake
In today’s episode we’re going to make Russian Apple Cake, or Apple Sharlotka which reigns from the days of Tsar Alexander 1st of Russia. It is relatively simple to make and is absolutely delicious served with a powdering of icing sugar and copious amounts of whipped cream.
- 680g Apples
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 Large eggs
- 220g Sugar
- 10ml Vanilla extract
- 130g All purpose / cake flour
- 2.5ml Salt
- Icing sugar as needed
- Whipped cream to serve
- To start, core and peel the apples and cut them into one inch or 25mm bits of around 4mm thick or a quarter inch. Toss them with the juice of a half lemon to prevent the apple from browning.
- Rub butter all over the inside of a 9 inch or 220mm spring-form pan and line the pan with baking paper. Transfer the apple to the pan and put this aside. Start preheating your oven to 350f or 180c.
- If you don't have a 9 inch spring-form pan, you can find one here - Springform Pans
- Crack 3 large eggs into your mixer bowl and add 220g of sugar.
- Place the bowl on your mixer with the whisk attached and whisk the mixture on medium high speed for 4 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons or 10ml of vanilla extract and continue to whisk on medium high for another minute. Remove the bowl from the machine.
- Sift 130g all-purpose flour or cake flour and a quarter teaspoon salt into another bowl.
- Add half of this to the egg mixture and fold it into the mixture. Do this with a gentle folding motion. You do not want to knock all of the air out of the egg mixture.
- Add the remaining flour to the bowl and continue folding until everything is just combined.
- Pout the batter over the apples in the spring-form pan and lightly level the surface with your spatula.
- Transfer the pan to your oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until lightly golden and crispy on top, and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow this to cool for at least an hour hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle the top of the cake with icing sugar and add a generous helping of whipped cream, and you’re done.