Beef Samosa Recipe From Start to Finish - Including Samosa Pastry Recipe - Homemade Samosa
Recipe type: Street Food
Beef Samosa Recipe From Start to Finish - Including Samosa Pastry Recipe - Homemade Samosa South Africa has the largest East Indian population outside of India. One of their signature foods is samosa, or as it is called in South Africa, samoosa. Today we are going to make beef samosas from start to finish, including the samosa pastry.
For the Filling
- 600g Ground beef
- 400g Onions diced
- 200g Mixed peppers diced
- 600ml Beef stock
- 45ml Masala
- 15ml Hot curry powder
- 30ml Oil
- 15ml Ground cumin
- 15ml Ground ginger
- 15ml Garlic powder
- 45ml Tapioca flour dissolved in a little water
For the Pastry:
- 500g All purpose flour
- 10ml Salt
- 30ml Oil
- 180ml Warm water
- Starting with filling, you need 600g lean ground beef, 400g diced onion and 200g diced mixed red, yellow and green peppers.
- Measure out 45ml masala, 15ml extra hot curry powder, 15ml ground cumin, 15ml ground ginger and 15ml garlic powder.
- Mix 600ml beef stock and dissolve 45ml tapioca flour in a little water.
- And finally 30ml oil.
- Add all of the spices to the ground beef, and pour in the oil.
- Massage the spices into the beef until everything is very well combined.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat, add 30ml of oil and fry the onions and peppers for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Scoop the onion from the pan and put it aside.
- Add a little mor oil to the pan and crumble the ground beef into the pan.
- Stirfry the beef for 4 to 5 minutes, chopping as go to break up any lumps.
- Return the onion mixture to the pan and mix this in.
- Pour in the stock and mix this in.
- Make well in the center of the pan and pour in tapioca slurry, stirting continuously.
- Allow the pan to cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture has thickened considerably.
- Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper, turn off the heat and put this aside to cool completely.
- For the pastry, measure 500g all-purpose flour, 30ml oil, 180ml tepid water and 10ml salt.
- Place all of these in your food processor, starting with the dry ingredients.
- Place the lid on the bowl and zap the mixture until it starts to come together. The mixture will resemble cous cous, and will hold together well when pressed.
- Pour the crumbly mixture into a bowl and compress it into a block.
- Wrap the block in clingwrap and allow this to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, unwrap the dough and divide it into 4.
- Working with one piece at a time, flatten the dough out.
- Run the dough through your pasta machine on number 1 a few times, folding it double after each pass.
- When the dough is nice and smooth, reduce the rollers to number 2 and repeat this process.
- Continue with this until you reach setting number 5, and the pastry is just less than a millimeter in thickness.
- Put this aside and continue with the remaining pastry.
- Cut each strip in half down the center, giving 8 strips of 7.5cm in width.
- Cut each of the strips into lengths of 30cm, giving you 16 strips in total. The offcuts can be rerolled.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the filling at the end of one of the strips.
- Fold the corner of the strip up diagonally to cover the filling.
- Fold the parcel once more, this time straight up.
- Next, fold diagonally, and so on, until the samosa is completed.
- Seal the end with a little water.
- Continue with the remaining samosas.
- At this stage, you can choose the freeze your samosas for a later date. This is why we used tapioca flour to thicken the curry. Tapioca flour is freeze thaw stable, and will give you a far superior frozen product.
- To cook your samosas, fill an pan with oil to an inch in depth. Heat this to 180c or 350f and carefully lower a few samosas into the oil.
- Fry the samosas until golden turning often to ensure even browning.
- Serve the samosas piping hot accompanied with fruit chutney and yogurt for dipping.
(samosa recipe,beef samosa recipe,somosa pastry,samosa pastry recipe,samosa filling recipe,homemade samosa,homemade samosa recipe,homemade samosa sheet,how to make samosa,how to make samosas at home)