Chilli Chicken Jerky Snack Sticks - Chilli Chicken Biltong Strips
Recipe type: Cured Meat / Dried Meat
Chicken jerky is super easy to make, and it makes great savory snack over the festive season and for the big game. Chicken jerky, as easy as it is, takes 2 days of waiting time, so you do need to plan ahead if you're making this for an occasion.
- 650g Chicken breasts
- 13g Prague powder #1
- 15ml Cayenne Pepper
- 50ml White vinegar
- 1 liter Water (hot)
- Cut away the fillets from the chicken breasts. Keep these for other meals.
- Cut the breasts lengthways into strips 1cm or just less than a half inch thick.
- Measure out the Prague powder and combine this with the cayenne pepper. Mix this thoroughly, breaking down any lumps as you go.
- Transfer the powder to a sprinkle bottle.
- Sprinkle half of the powder over the base of a large stainless steel roasting tin.
- Lay the chicken strips out on top of the powder.
- Sprinkle the other half of the powder over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the pan with cling-wrap and transfer this to your refrigerator for 24 hours.
- The following day, place a rack over a clean dish towel.
- Combine the hot water and vinegar in a mixing bowl.
- Working with one strip of chicken at a time, dip it briefly in the vinegar solution and transfer it to the rack.
- Continue with this leaving a little space between each strip.
- It does help if you have a multi-level rack if you're making this quantity or more.
- Place the racks in a preheated oven at 80c or 175f for 4 to 7 hours depending on how dry you want your jerky.
- Once you've happy with the result, remove the jerky from your oven, allow to cool, and they are ready to serve.
- The jerky stores very well in a paper bag in a cool place, or wrapped in cling-wrap and frozen.