New-Style Chicken Cordon Bleau
Recipe type: Chicken
Beautifully tender chicken fillet stuffed with salami and cheese, wrapped in crispy bacon. An umami dream come true!
- 2 Large chicken breasts
- 8 Rashers streaky / strip bacon
- 6 Slices good quality salami
- 2 Generous handfuls of grated cheddar mozzarella mix
- Oil and butter for frying
- New-style Chicken Cordon Bleu
- To create this simple chicken masterpiece, only a few ingredients are required, starting with a couple of handfuls of grated aged cheddar and mozzarella mixed.
- -4 Rashers of streaky, or strip bacon per portion, and 2-3 slices of good quality salami per portion.
- In addition, you will, of course need 2 large, plump, deboned, skinless chicken breast fillets.
- To prepare the fillets, start by removing the fillet’ from the breast. Continue by trimming any fat and leftover remnants of the skin from the breasts.
- Position the fillet at an angle, with the longer rounded side furthest from your knife. Holding your knife parallel to the work surface, slice through the fillet from the shorter rounded edge, leaving about 10mm or just less than a half inch intact on the longer round edge.
- Finish the cut by opening the breast and trimming a little further so that the fillet can open completely.
- Repeat this with the second breast.
- Place 2-3 slices of salami over the fold of each chicken breast.
- Follow this with a compressed handful of the shredded cheese.
- Fold the breasts closed and press them down lightly to compact the stuffing.
- At this stage, give the breasts a generous dose of salt and cracked black pepper.
- Using 3-4 to 4 strips of bacon, wrap each breast with a slight overlap on the edges and the ends of each strip of bacon, until the entire breast is covered.
- The bacon must be wrapped firmly, but not overly tight so as to squeeze out the filling.
- To cook the breasts, add 2 tablespoons of oil to your pan and heat this over medium heat to 180c. When you reach 180c, add a tablespoon of butter and mix this with the oil. This will help the chicken brown as it cooks.
- Add the chicken to the pan and fry this for 3 minutes per side, remembering that each breast has 4 sides – 2 flat sides and 2 edges.
- After the first 3 minutes, flip the chicken over to fry the second flat side.
- After the second 3 minutes, turn the chicken onto its edge, using the rim of the pan to prop it up.
- After the third 3 minutes, flip the chicken once again onto the other edge and fry for a final 3 minutes.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the accompaniments of your choice and enjoy this magnificent creation.