Super-Crispy Deep-Fried Pig's Wings. Succulent Pork Skewers in the Crispiest Coating Ever!!!
Recipe type: Pork / Superbowl
Today we're going to make a batch of Superbowl super-crispy pig's wings. These skewers are super-crispy, and I mean super crispy, and the secret to this is in the way the pork is coated before frying.
- 2 x Thick-cut pork neck steaks (450g)
For the Coating
- 125ml All purpose flour
- 125ml Cornstarch
- 2.5ml Baking powder
- 2.5ml Salt
- 75ml Chicken stock
- 3 Eggs
For the Sauce
- 45ml White wine vinegar
- 30ml Light soy sauce
- 2.5ml Cornstarch
- 60ml Caster sugar
- Starting with the secret coating...measure out the all-purpose flour, the cornstarch, baking powder, salt and chicken stock.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a whisk to stir these until combined.
- Add the chicken stock, a little at a time, whisking it into the dry mixture to form a rough crumbly mixture. Put this aside.
- For the sauce, combine the light soy sauce and white wine vinegar. Add the cornstarch and whisk this until dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and add the caster sugar.
- Heat the pan over medium high heat and bring it to a boil. As soon as the sauce starts to bubble up, turn the heat off and put the sauce aside.
- Unpack the deboned pork neck steaks and cut them into strips of 6mm or a quarter inch thick. Save any off-cuts or odd bits for stir-fries or other dishes.
- Thread the pork strips onto 15cm or 6 inch bamboo skewers.
- Whisk the eggs in a tall jug.
- By this time, the crumbing mixture will have dried a little. Use your hands to sift through the mixture and break down any lumps that are too large.
- Hold the jug containing the eggs at an angle and dip a skewer into the egg to wet it all over.
- Transfer the skewer to the coating mixture and dredge it to get a good solid coating all over.
- Transfer this to a platter to set and continue with the remaining skewers.
- Half fill a wok or large pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f. Carefully lower the skewers into the oil.
- Allow the skewers to fry for 3 to 4 minutes until super-crispy and golden.
- Remove these from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper. Continue frying the next batch of skewers.
- Transfer the pig's wings to serving platters and spoon the sauce over the skewers before serving.
- Thanks for joining us today, please give us a thumbs up, subscribe to our channel if you haven't done so already, and share this with your family and friends, and we'll see you again tomorrow.