Calzone Recipe - How to Make Calzone from Start to Finish - Calzone Made with No Knead Pizza Dough
Recipe type: Pizza
Some time ago we briefly touched on no-knead pizza dough. Today we will deal with this in more detail when we make a wonderful tasty and aromatic calzone from start to finish.
For the Dough (enough for 4 bases)
- 500g All-purpose flour / double zero / cake flour
- 1.25ml Dried yeast
- 10ml Salt
- 360ml Water
For the Calzone Filling (for 1 Calzone)
- 4 Rashers streaky bacon, fried and chopped into bits
- 60g Pizza salami
- 100g Mozzarella cheese
- 100g Mature cheddar cheese
- Fresh basil
- Cherry tomatoes,sliced
- To make the dough, place 500g of all-purpose flour in a large tub. Add a quarter teaspoon of dried yeast and 2 teaspoons of salt and stir this in.
- Pour in the water and use your paddle to mix this together until the dough balls up and comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl, with no more loose flour in the the mix.
- Put the lid on the bowl and allow this to stand at room temperature for 18 to 24 hours to develop.
- After this time the dough will have more than doubled in size and you will see bubbles in the surface of the dough.
- Use a scale to divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- The dough will be quite sticky, and we need to work about 25g of additional flour into each potion.
- Flour the work with some of the flour, place portion of dough on the surface and scatter more flour over the top of the dough portion.
- Start working the flour into the dough by flattening it and folding it lightly until all or most of the flour is incorporated.
- Don't knead the dough as you would normally.... work gently so as not to overdevelop the gluten.
- Put this aside and continue with the remaining portions.
- To roll the pizza bases, lightly flour your work surface, place a portion of the dough on the flour and lightly flour the top of the dough as well.
- Us your rolling pin to roll this out into a circle of 12 inches or 30cm in diameter.
- Transfer this to a baking sheet.
- Cover one half of the dough with 100g of sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Top this with 60g of sliced pizza salami.
- Top this with 100g of lightly fried and chopped streaky bacon.
- Add the sliced cherry tomatoes and the fresh basil leaves.
- Last but not least, finish this off with 100g of grated mature cheddar cheese.
- Fold the blank side of the base up and over the filling and match up the edges of the base.
- Working one side to the other, secure the seal by folding and crimping the edges together.
- Use a paring knife or skewer to poke two steam holes in the top of the calzone.
- Zap this into a preheated oven at 250c or 480f until crispy and golden.... about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the efficiency of your oven.
- And there we have it... a beautifully browned and crisped calzone filled with heavenly cheeses, bacon and salami.