Best Gourmet Burger Buns
Recipe type: Bread
In your efforts to make the perfect gourmet burger, you will need a perfect burger bun that stands up to the challenge - a bun that's not too heavy, not too light, not too dense, but not too airy, and most importantly, a bun that has loads of flavor! Look no further.... this is that bun -- the perfect burger bun!
For the Dough - Step 1
- 235ml Milk
- 30ml Cream
- 1 Tbs Demarara sugar
- 2 Tsp Yeast
For the Dough - Step 2
- 375g Strong flour
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Egg, Lightly beaten
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, cream and sugar. Heat this to 40c. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the mixture. Allow this to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and rub this into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Pour in the yeast mixture and 1 egg. Mix this until a sticky dough comes together.
- Lightly flour your work surface and turn out the dough. Knead the dough firmly but gently for 10-15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise for 90 minutes.
- Turn the dough out after 90 minutes, knead very briefly, and form this into a sausage shape. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Form the portions into buns and transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Cover the buns with a damp towel and allow them to rise for another 90 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200c or 400f. Paint the buns with the egg and sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds.
- Bake the buns for 15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.