Fish Nuggets - How to Make Golden, Crispy Fish Nuggets - Homemade Fish Nuggets
Recipe type: Seafood / Fish
These fish nuggets are out of this world. Spiced up with cracked black pepper and cayenne, they can serve as a main course, as part of a seafood platter, or as snacks at a cocktail party... and if you omit the cayenne pepper, kids will love them too.
- 800g Monkfish, or any firm white fish
- 250g All-purpose flour
- 30ml Cracked black pepper
- 15ml Cayenne pepper
- 15ml Fine salt
- 4 Eggs
- Starting with the coating, combine the salt, cracked black pepper and cayenne pepper with the all-purpose flour and stir this until totally combined.
- Place the eggs in a jug and whisk these thoroughly until all of the albumen has broken down.
- Pour the eggs into a large bowl.
- For the fish, I am using monkfish, but you can use any firm fish.
- Remove the fillets from the spine and cut the fish into bite-size pieces.
- To coat the nuggets, start by sprinkling a layer of the seasoned flour over a large platter. This is where the coated fish will set, and the thin layer of flour will prevent the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged. Put this aside.
- Drop 6 to 8 pieces of fish into the seasoned flour and toss them to coat. This dries the surface of the fish in preparation for the egg. Transfer these to another platter and continue until all of the fish has had its first coating.
- Working with one nugget at a time, dip the nugget in the egg to wet all of the flour, then transfer it to the flour to get a good solid coating all over. Transfer this to the setting platter and continue until all of the nuggets are coated.
- Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes before continuing.
- Half fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 160c or 320f. Carefully lower the nuggets into the oil and fry the fish for 3 minutes until crispy and golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove the nuggets from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- For this quantity of fish, you will need to fry the nuggets in 2 or 3 batches.
- Serve the nuggets immediately with lemon or lime wedges and dipping sauces and accompaniments of your choice.