Smoked Garlic Powder using Smoke Daddy's Vortex Smoke Generator
Recipe type: Smoking
Okay, we've just had a look at the Smoke Daddy Vortex coming out of the box, now let's give it a test run. To do this, I am going smoke some garlic. Using a bit of heat from the barbecue, I am also going to dry the garlic out, then grind it to a powder.
- Garlic (at least 2 full heads to make it worth your while)
- To start, separate the heads of garlic. There are easier ways to this, but you actually want to remove the skins exactly like this for this procedure.
- To skin the cloves, cut the stem end off. Place the clove on the board and crush it by banging the knife blade down on the clove. Grab the pointed end of skin and the entire skin will simply slip off. Transfer the crushed clove to a mesh strainer or a splatter screen.
- Place the Vortex near the center of the barbecue. The burner to the left of the Vortex will be the only burner running. Notice my probe thermometer on the right. This will help me monitor my target temperature of 67c or 168f.
- Using a blow torch or heat gun ignite the one side of the circle on the Vortex. Swing the unit around 180 degrees and ignite the other side to get the double burn. Depending on your wood pellets, you may have to repeat this a couple of times.place the mesh basket of garlic near the thermometer, ignite the left-hand burner, close the lid, and you're on your way.
- Set a timer for 4 hours to time the process.
- After 4 hours, remove the garlic from the barbecue. It will be lovely and golden, with an aroma from heaven. Most of the garlic will be pretty dry by this stage, however, some of the thicker bit might still be a bit spongy. Pop this into your oven at 67c or 168f with the door slightly open and continue to desiccate the garlic until completely dry.
- Run the dried garlic bits in your spice grinder for a few seconds to reduce it to a powder.
- And here is all that is left of the pellets in the Vortex.... just a little clean ash. Simply empty this out, give the unit a rinse, and it's as good as new.