How to Make Egg Rolls - Egg Rolls au Gratin - Superbly Tasty Egg Rolls
Recipe type: Eggs / Breakfast
Egg rolls are an all-time favorite. These eggs rolls reign supreme in the realm of egg rolls, and whether you serve them as finger snacks or as an accompaniment to breakfast, you will never be disappointed.
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 Tomato
- 50g Good quality aged salami
- 50g Finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 100g finely shredded mature cheddar cheese
- 45ml Snipped garlic chives
- 15ml Butter for frying
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper for garnishing
- To start, slice the tomato into thin slices.
- Slice the cured, aged salami into 1mm slices.
- Finely shred the Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk the eggs thoroughly... there must be no albumen visible in the egg.
- Finely shred the mature cheddar cheese, and snip about 3 tablespoons of fresh garlic chives.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a 32cm pan. When the butter is sizzling, spread it around to coat the base of the pan.
- Pour in the egg and swirl it around to spread it evenly across the pan.
- Sprinkle 2 thirds of the chopped chives over the egg, followed by half of the shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Spread the thinly sliced salami across the egg, followed by the second half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the thinly sliced tomato around the edge of the pan with any leftover slices in the center.
- Season the whole lot with salt and cracked black pepper and remove the pan from the heat.
- Slide the egg from the pan onto a large chopping board.
- Sprinkle half of the mature cheddar cheese over the egg.
- For this part, you need teflon fingers.... starting on one side, roll the egg up as tightly as you can. If you don't have heat-proof fingers, allow the egg to cool for a few minutes first.
- Trim off the ends of the roll. This step is the most important of all.... put the ends in your mouth and enjoy the first taste.
- Cut the remaining roll into slices of 15mm or 3 quarter inch thick.
- These can be served just the way they are, but going the extra mile makes them extra special....
- Transfer the rolls to a baking sheet and sprinkle the second half of the cheddar cheese over the rolls.
- Place the pan in the center of your oven with just the grilling element on full blast for 5 minutes.
- Serve the egg rolls au gratin sprinkled with dusting of cayenne pepper and garnished with the remaining snipped chives.