How to Make Mushroom Jerky - How to Make Mushroom Biltong - Vegan and Vegetarian Mushroom Jerky
Recipe type: Mushroom / Jerky / Biltong
Mushroom jerky makes a great tasty snack, and works brilliantly chopped and sprinkled over salads and soups. With the exception of the drying time, mushroom jerky is quick and really simple to make.
- 4 Large brown mushrooms (or Porcini)
- 45ml Worcestershire sauce
- 45ml Light soy sauce
- 60ml Maple syrup (can substitute regular golden syrup)
- 60ml Cider vinegar
- 10ml Chilli powder
- 2.5ml Smoked paprika
- Combine the Worcestershire sauce, light soy sauce, maple syrup, cider vinegar, chilli powder and smoked paprika in a jug and stir this until well combined.
- You will need large brown mushrooms, or porcini mushrooms as the have a well defined, robust flavor.
- Cut the mushrooms into slices 12mm or a half inch thick.
- Place the mushroom slices in a large non-reactive pan and pour the marinade mixture over the mushrooms.
- Use a basting brush to pick up marinade from the pan and brush this over any spots you may have missed.
- Cover the pan with cling-wrap and place this in your refrigerator overnight.
- The following day, transfer the mushroom slices to a rack in another pan.
- Set the temperature of your oven to 50c or 122f and place the tray in the oven.
- Leave the oven door slightly open.
- It will take around 10 hours for the mushrooms to dry. You want to be pliable and chewy, not bone dry.
- And there we have it, a tasty, chewy wonderful batch of mushroom jerky.