Syrian Style Cheese Latkes - After Tasting These You'll Never Eat a Waffle Again!
Recipe type: Dessert
We will be making a batch of delectable Syrian-style cheese latkes. These latkes are crispy on the outside, and incredibly smooth and creamy on the inside. Rich and decadent, these treats will have your friends and family lining up for seconds. You can whip up a dozen of these tasty latkes in under 20 minutes.
- 1lb / 450g Strong cheese (mature Cheddar / Monterey Jack)
- 1 Cup / 160g All purpose flour
- ½ Cup / 110g Caster sugar
- 6 Eggs
- ¼ Tsp / 1.25ml Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp / 5ml Vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
- Measure a cup or 160g of all-purpose flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add a pound or 450g of coarsely grated strong cheese. You can use mature cheddar, jack or anything similar.
- Mix this into the flour. Doing this does make the final mixing much easier, and you will get a more even mix as well.
- Add a half-cup, or 110g of caster sugar and a quarter teaspoon or 1.25ml of ground cinnamon. Mix this in until well combined.
- Add 6 eggs to the bowl and mix these in thoroughly until there is no dry flour visible in the mixture.
- Finally, add a teaspoon or 5ml of vanilla extract and mix this in thoroughly.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add enough butter to cover the base of the pan.
- Spoon one-third of a cup, or 80ml of batter into the pan for each latke.
- Fry these for 2-3 minutes before turning. Don’t be too concerned about them breaking when you turn them, the fried side is quite resilient and will hold them together.
- Fry the second side until golden, then remove them from the pan and continue with the remaining latkes.
- Serve the latkes with whipped cream or ice-cream and a generous dose of honey or maple syrup, and you’re ready go.