How to Make Coffee Cookies - Easy Homemade Cookie Recipe
Recipe type: Cookies
Cuisine: South African
Today we're going to make a batch of delectable coffee cookies so that you can still get your coffee fix even if you don't own a coffee machine.
For the Dough
- 1kg All-purpose flour / cake flour
- 5ml Salt
- 15ml Bicarbonate of soda / baking soda
- 320ml Sugar
- 400g Butter
- 240ml Golden syrup
- 125ml Espresso
- 5ml Vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 45ml Strong instant coffee
- 30ml Boiling water
- 375ml Sugar
- 150g Butter
- 100ml Full cream milk
- 7.5ml Vanilla extract
- To start, sift 1kg of all-purpose or cake flour into your stand mixer bowl, along with 5ml salt and 15ml bicarbonate of soda.
- Place 320ml of sugar, 400g butter, 250ml golden syrup and 125ml of espresso in a pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and stir the mixture until the butter has melted and all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 5ml of vanilla extract and then allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into your mixing bowl and run the machine is well combined and you have a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with clingwrap and allow this to stand overnight at room temperature.
- The following day, line at least 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Scoop out a tablespoonful of the dough. Roll it into a ball and place it on the sheet.
- Flatten the ball and pattern the cookie with the tines of a fork.
- Make sure to leav a half inch of space between each cookie as they will rise and spread quite considerably as they bake.
- Bake the cookies in batches in a preheated oven at 200c for 12 minutes per batch.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to cooling racks.
- To make creamy coffee centers, dissolve 3 tablespoons of strong instant coffee in 30ml of boiling water in a pot.
- Add 100ml of full cream milk, followed by 375ml of sugar.
- And finally 150g of butter.
- Place the pot over medium high heat and bring it to a boil, stirring regularly.
- When the mixture starts to boil, allow it to boil quite vigorously for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in 5ml of vanilla extract, andallow the filling to cool to room temperature, stirring it regularly.
- It will thicken to paste that resembles peanut butter.
- To assemble the cookies, spread a teaspoonful of the filling onto a cookie.
- Place another cookie on top of this and squeeze the cookies together gently to spread the filling evenly.
- Continue until all of the cookies are complete.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container, if they last long enough to require storage.