Microwave Potato Crisps - How to Make Salt & Vinegar Potato Crisps in Your Microwave Oven!!!
Recipe type: Snack Food
Today we're going to look at a neat trick to make salt and vinegar potato crisps in your microwave. Not only do these potato crisps have less oil content then regular crisps, but they are crispier, tastier, and a fraction of the price.
- 2-3 Large potatoes
- 30ml Kosher salt
- 500ml Cheap white vinegar
- 500ml Water
- A little oil for brushing
- To start, use a razor-sharp knife to slice these into wafers of 1mm thickness.
- Using long smooth cutting strokes will result in more even slices.
- Pour a half liter of water and a half liter of cheap white vinegar into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 15ml or a tablespoon of non-iodated salt and stir this until dissolved.
- Add the potato slices to the salt and vinegar solution and mix them up a little to separate. Allow this to stand for 30 minutes. The salt and vinegar draws and neutralizes the starch from the potatoes, while simultaneously flavoring the slices.
- After 30 minutes remove the slices from the solution and arrange them over half of a clean dish towel.
- Fold the open half over the slices and pat them dry.
- Repeat this until all of the slices are dried.
- Place a square of baking parchment on a plate and arrange some of the slices over the parchment.
- Brush the slices lightly with oil, turn them over and brush the reverse sides as well.
- Microwave the slices on high setting. My microwave is 900 watts, and I zap my crisps for 7 minutes, turning halfway through. If your microwave is more or less powerful than this adjust the cooking time up or down accordingly.
- Continue microwaving batches until all of the crisps are done.
- The crisps will keep crispy for up to a week in an air-tight container.
- And there we have it, a mountain of crisps, from just 2 potatoes.