Mega Cheese and Bacon Deep Fried Onion Rings - Deep-Fried Onion Rings Filled with Cheese & Bacon!!!
Recipe type: Deep-fried
Whether you present these incredible deep-fried onion rings as a starter or as an accompaniment to your main course, these crispy golden packages will have your guests talking for decades. This is how to make them....
- Streaky bacon
- Large Onions
- Processed cheese slices
- All-purpose flour (seasoned with salt and white pepper to taste)
- Oil for deep-frying
- To start, top, tail and peel the onions.
- Cut the angled ends from the onions, leaving you with the more cylindrical center section of the onions.
- Keep all of the off-cuts for salads or stir-fries.
- Working from the outside ring of each onion, separate the rings, grouping the first ring and third ring as a pair, and the second and fourth as a pair.
- Notice when you place the smaller ring of the pair inside the larger ring, that there is a sizeable gap. This is exactly what we want.
- Cut a slice of the processed cheese into strips and line the inside of the bigger onion ring with the cheese.
- Take a slice of streaky bacon and repeat this exercise.
- Press the smaller ring into the larger ring and the first ring is done. Continue until all of the rings have been processed.
- To coat the rings, first sprinkle a layer of seasoned all-purpose flour over a large platter. This is where the coated rings will set, and the flour prevents the rings from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- Pour a couple of cups into a large dish and beat a few eggs in a jug.
- Dredge the ring in the flour. This will dry any damp spots on the ring.
- Dip the ring in the egg to wet it all over.
- Dredge the ring in the flour to coat it all over.
- Return the ring to the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Then back into the flour for a final, good solid coating.
- Transfer this to the platter to set.
- Continue with the remaining rings. Allow the coated rings to set for 20 minutes.
- Half fill a large pan or wok with oil and heat this to 170c or 340f.
- Carefully lower the rings into the oil in batches and fry them for 5 to 7 minutes until crispy and golden, turning them over every 60 seconds.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the rings from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve the rings while piping hot and enjoy.
- And there it is, a beautiful crispy golden onion ring filled with melted cheese and bacon.