Barbecue Herb and Feta Stuffed Pork Loin Chops with Crispy Crackling
Recipe type: Pork
With the festive season just round the corner, today's episode is a legendary barbecue. Thick cut pork loin chops, butterflied and stuffed with fresh herb and feta is an absolute winner.
For 4 Barbecue Stuffed Pork Loin Chops
- 4 x 450g Thick cut pork loin chops
- 100g Feta cheese
- 10ml Chopped fresh oregano
- 10ml Chopped fresh sage
- 10ml Chopped fresh rosemary
- 10ml Chopped fresh thyme
- 25ml Chopped fresh basil
- 10ml Chopped fresh garlic
- 45ml Olive oil
- To make the stuffing, place the fresh chopped herbs, garlic, feta and olive oil in a bowl and mash it to a paste.
- Have your butcher cut the pork chops 30mm thick, or 1 and a quarter inch.
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut the rind away from the chop.
- Run the knife between the rib bone and the meat and remove the bone.
- Stand the pork on the fatty edge and slice down the center along the length to butterfly the meat.
- Stop slicing when you reach the fatty strip.
- Flap the butterflied meat open and stuff a quarter of the filling into the chop.
- Continue until all of the chops are processed.
- Place the rinds on a platter and salt both sides of the rinds liberally with salt.
- Place the stuffed chops on a platter and brush both them with melted butter, followed by a liberal grinding of salt and pepper.
- Turn them over and repeat this process.
- Heat a ribbed skillet on your barbecue over high heat. In this case I have the skillet over 2 burners, running on full flame.
- Place the salted rinds on the skillet and close the lid.
- Allow these to grill for 6 minutes with the rind side facing down.
- Open the grill, flip the rinds over and add the pork chops to the skillet.
- Close the barbecue and allow these to grill for a further 5 minutes.
- Open the grill and turn the pork chops.
- Close the barbecue again and allow this to grill for a further 5 minutes.
- After this time, remove the chops from the grill and move the pork rind to the hottest part of the skillet skin side down.
- Press them down onto the skillet until they are well blistered and crisp.
- Serve your amazing creation immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.