How to Make Peppadew Poppers - Crumbed, Deep-fried Stuffed Piquante' Peppers
Recipe type: Peppers / Deep-Fried
Peppadews, and registered brand Peppadew originate in South Africa and must be undoubtedly South Africa's greatest culinary contribution this century. These piquant pickled peppers have a thousand different and delicious applications and today we're going to look at one of my favorites.... peppadew poppers. These are very similar to chilli poppers, but with a unique flavor all their own, and far less fire.
- 100g Blue Cheese
- Yogurt (approx. 45-60ml)
- 20-30 Pickled peppadews
- ½ Cup Finely crushed cornflakes
- ½ Cup All-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- Starting with the filling, add just enough yogurt to a 100g of strong blue cheese to make a paste. The paste must be just thinned enough to be pipe-able.
- Use a fork to mix this until smooth.
- Spoon the creamy mixture into a piping bag.
- Use the edge of a ruler to squish the cheese down the bag, then snip about 10mm or just less the a half inch from the tip of the bag.
- Use the ruler again to press the mass of cheese down to the tip.
- For the coating, whisk 2 eggs thoroughly until all of the albumen has broken down.
- Combine the finely crushed cornflakes and all purpose flour.
- You will need to count out 20 to 30 pickled peppadews and drain the syrup from them.
- Use the filled piping bag to pipe the cheese mixture into each peppadew.
- To coat the poppers, sprinkle a layer of the cornflake mixture over a large platter. This where the coated peppadews will set, and the crumbs will prevent the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- Working with one popper at a time, roll the popper in the crumb mixture.
- Transfer this to the egg to wet all of the crumb.
- Then back to the crumbs to get a good solid coating all over.
- Transfer this to the platter to set and continue with the rest of the poppers.
- Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half fill your wok or a large pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the poppers into the oil in batches. The poppers will fry very quickly... about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Use slotted spoon to lift the golden poppers from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Continue frying the remaining poppers.
- Serve the poppers piping hot and enjoy....