Deep-Fried Super-Cheesy Bites - A Creamy, Crunchy, Sweet & Savory Taste of Heaven!!!
Recipe type: Dessert
These deep-fried super-cheesy bites are insanely good. Strong blue cheese and fruit jam enclosed in American cheese slices then crumbed a deep-fried results in the most amazing sweet savory flavor and texture combination.
- 16 Slices American processed cheese
- 3 Heaping tablespoons fruit preserve / jam
- 80g Creamy blue cheese
- 250ml Fine bread crumbs
- 250ml All-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Oil for deep-frying
- You will need 16 slices of American cheese. For those not in North America, this the processed cheese slices that come individually wrapped in plastic sheets.
- In addition, measure out 3 heaping tablespoon of a good quality fruit preserve and open a block of creamy blue cheese.
- You will also need an 8cm, or just more than 3 inch gow gee press. These are readily available on eBay and Amazon for next to nothing.
- To start assembling, open a cheese slice and keeping the plastic wrapper in place, use the back of the press to cut out the circle then position the circle over the press.
- Place ⅔ of a teaspoon of the preserve in the center of the cheese, followed by a small piece of blue cheese.
- Grab the handles of the press and close this just firmly enough to seal the edges of the cheese. If you press to hard, the cheese will split.
- Continue until all of the cheesy bites are formed.
- To coat the bites, measure out a cup of all-purpose flour, a cup of fine bread crumbs, and whisk 2 eggs.
- Sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs over a large platter. This is where the coated cheesy bites will set, and the crumbs prevent the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- Working with cheesy bite at a time, dredge the bite in the flour.
- Transfer this to the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Then it's into the bread crumbs to get a good solid coating all over.
- Transfer this to the platter to set, and continue with the remaining pockets.
- Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the cheesy bites into the oil and fry these for 3 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- As the first cheesy bites are ready, use a slotted spoon to remove them from oil, and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve the bites immediately accompanied with whipped cream and a good dessert wine.
- And there we have it, a crunchy, creamy, sweet and savory taste of heaven.