Supreme Chicken Gravy - How to Make Rich, Silky Smooth Chicken Gravy
Recipe type: Gravies and Sauces
This episode is the third in our short series on bone broth. Today we're going to use the broth to make a rich, silky smooth and flavorful chicken gravy.
- 200ml Chicken bone broth
- 150ml Chicken stock
- 6 Pickling onions
- 30g Reserved chicken fat (from making the broth) - plus extra if necessary
- 30ml / 45ml/ 60ml Tapioca flour dissolved in a little water) - 30ml=Thin / 45ml=Medium / 60ml=Thick
- Combine the broth with the chicken stock.
- Cut 6 pickling onions into rounds.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add a heaped tablespoon of the chicken fat we reserved from making the broth in the first episode.
- Add the onions and fry these until golden and caramelized. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Add a little extra chicken fat if necessary.
- Add the broth a stock mixture to the pot and stir this in.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Dissolve the tapioca flour in a little cold water and add this to the pot while stirring continuously. 30ml of tapioca will give you a thinner gravy while 45ml results in a medium, and 60ml in a thick gravy.
- Continue to cook the gravy until it has thickened, about 2 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Use your stick blender to machine the gravy until smooth and all of the caramelized onion has been absolutely liquidized.
- Serve the gravy piping hot over roasted meat and potatoes.