Chicken Enchiladas - Spicy Chicken Wraps with Melted Cheese, Sour Cream & Hot Salsa
Recipe type: Chicken
In today's episode we're taking a quick trip to Mexico to make some awesomely rustic, spicy chicken enchiladas. Filled with creamy, spicy chicken and jalapeños and topped with melted cheese, sour cream and hot salsa these enchiladas will have your guests lining up for more. This recipe will make 2 large enchiladas or 4 medium.
For the Hot Salsa
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Pickled Jalapeno
- 10ml Garlic granules
- Handful of fresh coriander
For the Filling
- 3 Chicken thighs, deboned
- ¼ each - red, yellow and green pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1 Pickled jalapeno
- 30ml Mexican spice blend (see below)
- 80ml Sour cream
For the topping
- Shredded mature cheddar or strong Jack cheese
- 160ml Sour cream
How to make Mexican Spice Blend
- 15ml Cumin seeds
- 15ml Dried coriander leaves
- 15ml Paprika
- 5ml Dried oregano
- 5ml Cayenne pepper (mild) / 15ml (medium) / 25ml (hot)
- 5ml Garlic granules
- 10ml Salt
- (Machine these all until fine in your spice grinder)
- Starting with the salsa, chop the tomatoes and pickled jalapeños.
- Grab a handful of fresh coriander and measure out the dried garlic granules. You can also use fresh garlic, but I like the rounded flavor these granules give to the food.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add 30g of butter.
- Fry the fresh ingredients for about 90 seconds until wilted then add the garlic.
- Continue to fry this for another 60 seconds. Remove the salsa from the pan and keep it warm.
- Place the deboned chicken thighs on a large platter skin side up.
- Sprinkle half of the Mexican spice over the skin and rub it in.
- You can find the spice recipe included in the printable recipe.
- Flip the thighs over and sprinkle the remaining spice over the chicken. Put this aside while you slice the onions, dice the peppers and chop the pickled jalapeño. In addition measure out 80ml of sour cream.
- Return the pan to the heat and fry the onion, peppers and jalapeño for 2 to 3 minutes and onion is tender and translucent.
- Remove this from the pan and keep it warm.
- Add 30g of butter to the pan and add the chicken thighs skin side down.
- Fry the chicken for 6 minutes turning halfway through. The chicken should be well charred on the outside.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and chop it into thin strips.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with the onion, peppers and jalapeño and stir this briefly to warm it through.
- Add the sour cream and stir this in to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place a large tortilla on an oven proof serving platter. Spoon half of the chicken filling across the center of the wrap.
- Roll the wrap up to enclose the filling and use 2 toothpicks to secure.
- Drop a generous dose of mature cheddar or strong jack over the tortilla. Pick up any spillage and get it all on top of the enchilada.
- Repeat this with the second wrap.
- Place the enchiladas under the grill in your oven until the cheese is just melted.
- Remove these from the oven. Be careful, the plates will be very hot.
- Remove the toothpicks.
- Spoon the remaining sour cream over the enchiladas, followed by the hot salsa.
- Serve the enchiladas immediately accompanied with guacamole and fresh crispy salsa.