The Correct Way to Make Beef Kebabs - Succulent & Tender Beef Kebabs Every Time!!!
Recipe type: Beef / Steak
Beef kebabs more often than not are tough and dry, and quite plainly unpleasant. In today's episode we're looking at a really simple trick that will give you awesomely succulent and tender beef kebabs every time. So we're going to rustle up a batch of the amazing beef wonders.
- 1.8kg Rump steak, cut 1 inch thick
- Seasoning of your choice
- 60g Butter
- 20 x 8 inch skewers
- You need to start with a good cut of meat like rump, with a nice thick strip of fat on the edge. Here I have 2 very nice slabs each about 900g or 2 pounds, cut nd inch thick.
- You will notice the one side of each piece has a much thinner strip of fat. Cut this piece away, and cut it into 1 inch cubes.
- To bard the cubes of meat that don't border with fat we are going to borrow some of the fat from the thick layer on the other side.
- Use sharp knife to trim away the fat, leaving only about 5mm or a quarter inch of fat behind.
- Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes, then slice the strip of fat into 5mm bits.
- Continue with the remaining steak.
- To thread the skewers, start with a cube that has fat. Follow this with a slice of fat, then another cube of meat and so on until all of your skewers are assembled.
- Every piece of meat will be interspersed with a piece of fat. This is what keeps the meat juicy and tender, and adds tons of flavor.
- Transfer the kebabs to a large roasting tin and season them liberally with the seasoning of your choice. Allow them to marinate for at least an hour before continuing.
- You can cook the kebabs on your barbecue, in a pan or under your oven grill. You will need medium high heat, and if your barbecuing or oven grilling, remember to baste with melted butter before starting.
- I am doing mine in a pan. Heat the pan to medium high and add 60g of butter.
- When the butter is bubbling, add the kebabs. You will probably need to cook 2 batches if you're using a pan.
- Grill the kebabs for 2 minutes 30 seconds per side, remembering that they have 4 sides... giving you 10 minutes in total.
- Remove the kebabs from the pan and serve immediately with accompaniments of your choice.