Spicy Moroccan Chicken Kebabs - Moroccan Chicken Kebabs with Ras al Hanout & Lemon
Recipe type: Chicken
This episode is the third in our short series on using the trademark Moroccan spice blend Ras al Hanout. These spicy chicken kebabs are succulent and tender and simply explode with flavor.
- 9 Chicken thighs
- Zest of a large lemon
- 50g Butter for frying
For the Ras al Hanout Spice Blend (Grind everything until fine in your spice grinder)
- 7.5ml Ground cumin
- 7.5ml Ground ginger
- 7.5ml Turmeric
- 7.5ml Salt
- 6.25ml Ground cinnamon
- 10ml Whole black peppercorns
- 5ml Ground white pepper
- 3.75ml Ground coriander seed
- 7.5ml Chilli powder
- 7.5ml Whole allspice berries
- 3.75ml Ground nutmeg
- 2.5ml Ground cloves
- To start you need to debone 9 chicken thighs. We have done this before, but here's a quick recap.
- Using a short sharp blade lift skin along the spine bone of the thigh.
- Cut underneath the oyster to free it from the bone.
- Continue to peel the skin back to reveal the hip joint.
- Using your chicken shears to cut through the hip joint.
- Flip the thigh over and cut away the connecting tissue to free the spine from the thigh.
- Slice through the flesh along the thigh bone.
- Grab the joint and use the edge of the blade to scrape the flesh down the bone.
- Cut around the lower joint to free the bone.
- Continue with the remaining thighs.
- Place the thighs in a large roasting pan skin side down.
- Sprinkle the ras al hanout liberally over the chicken. Don't be shy with the spice, it has to be well spiced.
- Turn the thighs over and give the skin a good coating of spice as well.
- Turn the thighs again and spice any spots you may have missed.
- Sprinkle the grated lemon zest over the thighs and transfer the tray to your refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- After marinating, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and cut the thighs into bite-sized cubes.
- Pick up any lemon zest from the marinating pan and return it to the cubed chicken.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto 8 inch or 20cm skewers. You will need 6 skewers for this quantity of chicken.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add 50g of butter.
- When the butter is bubbling add the kebabs to the pan.
- Grill the kebabs for 4 minutes per side, remembering that they have 4 sides.
- The chicken will be beautifully charred and crispy with an aroma from heaven.
- Remove the kebabs from the pan and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.