Mexican Deep Fried Chicken Wings - Crispy Deep Fried Wings with Mexican Spice
Recipe type: Chicken
These deep-fried Mexican spiced chicken wings are out of this world. By adjusting the quantity of cayenne you can make this dish as hot or mild as you like.
- 12-16 Chicken wings
- 15ml Cumin seeds
- 15ml Dried coriander leaves
- 15ml Paprika
- 5ml Dried oregano
- 5ml Cayenne pepper (mild) / 15ml (medium) / 25ml (hot)
- 5ml Garlic granules
- 10ml Salt
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Eggs
- Starting with the Mexican spice blend, place the cumin seeds, dried coriander leaves, paprika, dried oregano, cayenne pepper a dried garlic granules and salt in your spice grinder.
- Putting the powdered spices into the grinder along with the ingredients that require grinding helps the grinder achieve a finer result.
- Unpack the chicken wings. Cut away the wing tips and discard them, then slice through the center joint of each wing.
- Sprinkle some of the spice blend over the base of a container and pack in a single layer of the wings.
- Sprinkle more of the spice followed by another layer of wings.
- Continue with this until all of the wings are packed in.
- Sprinkle any remaining spice over the top, put the lid on and give it all a good shake-up.
- Put the wings aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Place the all-purpose flour into a bowl, and 4 well whisked eggs into another.
- Sprinkle a little of the flour over a platter. This is where the coated wings will set, and the layer of flour prevents the coating from sticking to the plate and getting damaged.
- Dredge the wings in the flour to coat them all over.
- Dunk the wings in the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Then it's back to the flour to get a good solid coating all over.
- Transfer the wings to the platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half-fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the wings into the oil and fry them for 6 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the wings from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve the wings immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.