Mother's Day 2016 - Coconut Chocolate Madeleines - How to Make Chocolate Dipped Madeleines.
Recipe type: Baking / Patisierre
After a week on the road, I'm back, and just in time for a delicious Mother's Day treat. Coconut chocolate dipped Madeleines are super-quick and easy to make. Traditionally baked in a scalloped Madeleine pan, you can also use mini muffin pan if you don't have the real thing.
- 6 Eggs
- 200g Caster sugar
- 300g All-purpose flour
- 200g Butter, melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- This recipe goes very quickly so it's a good idea to have everything prepared before you start.
- Preheat your oven to 200c or 400f.
- Measure out the eggs, caster sugar, all-purpose flour, melted butter, lemon zest and orange zest.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk this vigorously for 3 to 4 minutes until all of the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is silky smooth.
- Pour in the flour and use a spatula to work this in until all of the flour is toally incorporated.
- Add the lemon and orange zest and fold this into the mixture.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold this until totally incorporated.
- For demonstration purposes I am going to do both the traditional and muffin shaped Madeleines.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollows of the pans leaving just enough space for rising.
- Bake the Madeleines for 12 minutes until crispy and golden on the outside.
- Remove the Madeleines from the oven and transfer them to cooling racks. Allow them to cool completely before continuing.
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate in double boiler or in your microwave by zapping it for 10 seconds at a time stirring after each heating.
- Lay out a non-stick sheet or a length of baking parchment on your work surface. Dip the wide end of the Madeleines into the chocolate, shake off any excess and place them on the parchment.
- Sprinkle each Madeleine immediately with desiccated coconut and allow the chocolate to set before serving.