How to Cure & Age Capicola - Homemade Capicola - Perfect Charcuterie
Recipe type: Curing Meats / Charcuterie
Capicola or cured and dry-aged pork neck is absolutely amazing. The outstanding aroma and robust, rounded flavor, make this one of the most popular Italian cured meats.
- 2.5kg Pork neck
- 70g Salt
- 15g Sugar
- 15g Prague Powder #2
- 8g Cracked Black Pepper
- 4g Crushed Juniper Berries
- 2 Bay Leaves Crushed
- 2ml Ground Nutmeg
- Measure out the Prague powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg, black pepper corns, bay leaves and juniper berries.
- Place the juniper berries, black peppercorns and bay leaves into your spice grinder and process this until fine.
- Add the ground spices to the rest of the powders and mix this together thoroughly.
- Place the pork neck on your work surface and roll it tightly length-ways. Use butchers twine to tie the roll firmly. This helps the roll keep its shape.
- Place the meat in a roasting tin or catch tray and sprinkle the curing mixture evenly over the meat. Pat the powder into the surface of the meat as you go until all of the meat has a coating.
- Turn a vacuum packing bag half inside out. Feed the meat into the bag and unfold the bag to close it around the meat. Pop this into your vacuum packer and seal it up good and tight. It is a good idea to give the bag a double seal for security.
- Place the vacuum packed meat in your refrigerator for 7 days to cure. You can also seal the meat in a ziplock bag, but then you must massage and flip the meat every day while it is curing.
- After the curing time, remove the meat from the bag and rinse it thoroughly under cold running water. Use a clean dish towel to pat the meat dry.
- Place the meat on a board and sprinkle liberally with paprika all over and press this into the surface of the meat. Place the meat on a rack and allow this to age for 5 to 6 weeks at a temperature of 14 to 18c, or 57f to 65f, and humidity of 60-70%.
- After this time, cut the strings away from the capicola. Cutting the roll open reveals the beautifully colored cured meat with a firm texture and an absolutely amazing aroma.
- Slice the meat thinly by hand or machine and you're ready to taste heaven.