How to Make Authentic Tahini Paste - Homemade Tahini, Quick & Easy!!!
Recipe type: Sauce
Cuisine: Middle Eastern / Mediterranean
Tahini paste originates in the Middle East and has gained wide popularity in almost every country of the world. It is one of the main ingredients in hummus, and can be thinned further to make a pourable sauce.
- 125ml Hulled sesame seeds
- 30ml Extra virgin olive oil
- Measure the hulled sesame seeds and the extra virgin olive oil. I am going to process this with a stick blender which is ideal for small quantities, however you can do this in a small food processor, or of you have a large processor, double or triple the recipe to do this.
- Place the sesame in a pan over medium heat. Stir the seeds continuously to avoid burning. The toasting process will take 5 to 6 minutes. About halfway through, you will notice the seeds starting to clump together as a result of the oil being released.
- Towards the end, the seeds will be very fragrant and will have darkened to a golden color.
- Place the sesame in a tall jug and pour in 2 thirds of the oil. Process this with your blender until smooth.
- You will notice here that the paste is still a little thick, so Add the remaining oil. Process again to combine this.
- Pour the paste into a bowl for immediate use, or store it in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for a few months.
- Stay tuned for our next episode where we're using this sesame paste to make hummus.