Superbowl Snacks - Little Smokey Frankfurters in Tomato, Onion & Beer Gravy
Recipe type: Sausages / Super Bowl
The Superbowl is here! This is an awesome dish of cocktail frankfurters lovingly simmered in tomato, onion and beer gravy. The gravy is thick and rich and delicious.
- 600g Cocktail frankfurter sausages
- 500ml Cocktail tomatoes
- 250ml Beer
- 60ml Soft brown sugar
- 45ml Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml Balsamic vinegar
- 15ml Paprika
- 15ml Cornstarch
- 5ml Ground black pepper
- 5ml Salt
- Half an onion
- 3 Cloves garlic
- Place the cocktail tomatoes, onion and garlic in your processor bowl. I am using a combination of fresh tomatoes and canned, however you can use all fresh or all canned.
- Place the lid on the bowl and process this until reasonably fine.
- Add the sugar, paprika, ground black pepper and salt. Add the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and beer. Dissolve the cornflour in a little water and pour this in.
- Put the lid back in place and process for a further 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Pour the mixture into your slow cooker or a digital pot and bring this to a very slow simmer. Allow this to continue for 60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- By this stage the gravy will have started to thicken nicely and it's time to add the cocktail frankfurters. Give it a brief stir yo make sure everything is submerged, then continue to slow simmer the pot for a further 60 minutes, stirring gently every 20 minutes.
- Transfer the franks to serving bowls, drizzle generously with the gravy and serve immediately. You can also make these ahead of time as they reheat perfectly. If your guests don't like getting down and dirty, serve accompanied with skewers.