Gourmet Hotdog Rolls - Vietnamese Baguettes - Super-Crispy Crust, Super Soft Inside!!!
Recipe type: Hot Dogs / Bread & Dough
These gourmet hotdog rolls are actually Vietnamese Baguettes. The super-crispy crust and beautiful soft center makes for perfect hotdog roll. The process is simple, however it is time-consuming, so I do suggest making at least this batch size to make it worth your while.
- 540g Strong White flour
- 400ml Water
- 7.5ml Salt
- 10ml Sugar
- 20ml Fast acting dry yeast
- Place the strong white flour, salt, sugar and yeast in your mixer bowl. Place the bowl on your mixer and mix the dry ingredients together briefly.
- Add the water and allow the mixer to mix and knead for 8 minutes. If you're kneading by hand, knead for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the machine, scrape the dough down, cover the bowl with cling-wrap and let the dough rise for 60 minutes in a warm place.
- Rub a little oil onto your work surface. Turn the dough out and cut it into 8 equal pieces for regular rolls, or 4 for foot-longs.
- Working with oiled hands, fold each piece of dough in on itself 3 times, then transfer these to a baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet with an inverted roasting tin and allow these to rest for a further 20 minutes. This is the second rise.
- Make sure the work surface is still adequately oiled. Place one of the dough pieces on the surface and flatten it into a rectangle.
- Use your rolling pin to roll it out to a rectangle of 4 to 5 inches wide by about 8 inches long.
- Starting at the top, roll the dough down to form the roll. Roll the dough on the surface using your fingers to close the ends. Transfer the roll to your baguette pan or a baking sheet. Repeat this until all of the baguettes are formed.
- Time for the third rising.... lightly cover the buns lightly with cling-wrap and allow these to rise again for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Halfway through this time, start to pre-heat your oven to 230c or 450f.
- After the third rise, remove the cling-wrap and mist the rolls with water. Use a sharp knife or blade to slash 3 cuts into the tops of each roll. Spray the rolls again.
- Place a pan of water in the bottom of the oven.... place the buns in the center of the oven, and bake them for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove the buns from the oven. If you're using a perforated baguette pan, allow them to cool on the pan, otherwise transfer the buns to a wire rack.
- And there it is... beautifully crispy crust with light, soft and airy inside.... just waiting to become a gourmet hotdog.