Deep-Fried Stuffed Mushrooms. Crispy Deep-Fried Mushrooms Stuffed with Pork!!!
Recipe type: Deep-fried / Starter
These deep-fried mushrooms stuffed with pork banger meat are absolutely amazing!
- 8-12 Medium size white mushrooms
- 1 Large pork banger
- 250ml All-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
For the flour seasoning
- 5ml Cayenne pepper
- 1.25ml Dried sage
- 1.25ml Garlic powder
- 1.25ml Dried oregano
- 1.25ml Cracked black pepper
- 1.25ml Dried basil
- 1.25ml Dried marjoram
- 1.25ml Gorund coriander seed
- Snap the stems from the mushrooms. You can keep the stems to add to soups, salads or stir-fries.
- Take the pork banger and cut through the skin length-ways. Squeeze the pork filling from the sausage. This filling has more than enough seasoning and flavor, so you don't have to do anything more to it.
- Pick up a bit of the sausage meat and press it into one of the mushroom caps. You need enough meat to turn the mushroom into a totally rounded object. Smooth off the meat and continue with the remaining mushrooms.
- Combine the seasoning and the all-purpose flour and scatter some of this across a platter. This is where the coated mushrooms will set, and this layer of flour will prevent the coated mushrooms from sticking to the platter.
- In another bowl, crack 2 eggs and whisk them briefly. The mushrooms need to be double coated. To do this dunk a mushroom in the egg, then roll it in the flour to coat all over.
- Return it to the egg to wet all of the flour. Finally back into the flour once more, making sure to get a good solid coating. Transfer this to the platter and continue with the remaining mushrooms.
- Allow the coating on the mushrooms to set for 20 minutes before proceeding.
- Fill a large pan with oil to a depth of 25mm or 1 inch and heat this to 180c or 350f. Carefully drop the mushrooms into the oil and fry them for 3 to 4 minutes. Gently roll the mushrooms around the pan while they fry in order to get even coloring and crisping.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the mushrooms to platters and serve immediately with any mayonnaise based dipping sauce of your choice.