How to Make Caramel from Sweetened Condensed Milk - Dulce de Leche from Condensed Milk!!!!
Recipe type: Dessert / Sweets
With festive season in full swing, here's a tip on the sweeter side of life. Caramel is used in a whole range of desserts and this is how you can make your own using simple sweetened condensed milk.
- Tinned / Canned condensed milk
- You can use any brand of sweetened condensed milk, and you can make as many cans at a time as your pot will hold.
- To start, remove the labels from the cans as these can make a mess of your pot.
- Place the cans in your pot and pour in enough hot water to cover the cans completely.
- Put the pot over medium heat and bring this to a simmer. Set your timer and allow this to simmer for a full 3 hours.
- Check the water level every so often and top it up with boiling kettle water to keep the cans fully submerged.
- Once 3 hours is up, transfer the pot to your sink and run cold water into the pot until the cans have cooled enough to handle.
- Remove the cans from the pot and transfer them to the sink. Allow these to continue cooling in the sink submerged in cold water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the cans are safe to open. And there it is... beautifully creamy caramel.