Traditional South African Roostekoek - Best Barbecue Buns Recipe - Bread Rolls on the Barbecue!!!
Recipe type: Bread / Dough / Barbecue
Cuisine: South African
Roostekoek are the traditional barbecue buns served at South African barbecues, or braais. There is a trick to achieving light, well textured roostekoek, with a beautifully soft inside and slightly crispy outside.
- 300g Strong white bread flour
- 5ml Salt
- 15ml Sugar
- 10ml Yeast
- 30ml Oil
- 180ml Warm water
- To start, pour the warm water into a jug. Add the yeast, sugar and oil and stir this all together. Put this aside in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes until it is very frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the strong white bread flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the frothy yeast mixture.
- Using a wooden paddle mix this until a dough comes together and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, sprinkle a little flour over the top, and proceed to knead the flour for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover with cling-wrap and allow this to rise to double for 60 minutes in a warm place.
- Once again, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Don't punch the dough down. You want keep as much air in the dough as possible.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough and gently flatten it out into a roughly rectangular shape. Use your roller to roll it to a thickness of 10mm or just less than a half inch.
- Use your dough scraper to cut this into 6 or 8 pieces. Place the pieces in a lightly floured pan. Cover the pan and allow these to rise again for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- Heat your barbecue to medium heat and oil the grid. You will know you have the correct temperature when you can hold you hand over the heat for 10 seconds before it becomes unbearable. If it hotter the buns will burn before the inside cooks, any cooler and they will dry out and become dense and heavy.
- Grill the buns for 5 to 6 minutes per side. Bare in mind that not all parts of the grill are the same temperature, and as a result some of the buns will grill quicker than others.
- Remove the buns from the grill and serve hot with a large dose of butter and the fillings of your choice.