Cold Smoked Rump Steak - Cold Smoked Then Grilled to Tasty Perfection!!! Part 9 Smoking & Curing
Recipe type: Steak / Smoking / Barbecue
The concept of this recipe was passed on to me by Dennis Correa, the owner of Smoke Daddy. To cold smoke these steaks, I am using the Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator which has proved to be absolutely amazing throughout this series.
- 4 x 250g Rump steaks
- 60ml Demarara or treacle sugar
- 15ml Himalayan rock salt
- 15ml Cracked black pepper
- Pat the steaks dry using kitchen paper.
- Transfer the steaks to a rack that has been positioned at an angle over a drip pan.
- Fire up your cold smoker. I am using hickory chips which produce a strong, thick smoke, but you can use any flavor of your choice.
- After a minute or 2, the smoke generator will be pumping out loads of smoke. Place the steaks in the barbecue and allow them to smoke for 45 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the smoker and wrap them individually in cling-wrap. Allow these to stand at room temperature for a further 45 minutes.
- To make the rub, combine the Demerara sugar with the Himalayan rock salt and the cracked black pepper.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto both sides of the steaks and use the back of a spoon to polish the rub into the surface of the meat.
- Heat a ribbed skillet over high heat and grill the steaks to your preference of doneness. Remove the steaks from the grill and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the accompaniments of your choice.