How to Pickle Onions - Homemade Pickled Onions Recipe - Make Pickled Onions at Home!!!
Recipe type: Pickles and Preserves
With the festive season just over 2 months away now is the perfect time to start making pickled onions. These make a simple and tasty accompaniment to any meal and are the perfect ingredient to liven up salads.
- 750g Pickling onions
- 3 Tbs Salt
For the Spiced Vinegar
- 750ml White wine vinegar
- 110g Sugar
- ½ Tsp Coriander seeds
- ½ Tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ Tsp Black peppercorns
- To start, top and tails the onions. Place the onions in a large heat-proof bowl and pour boiling water over them until covered. Allow these to stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After this time the skins will slip from the onions with ease.
- Transfer the skinned onions to a dish cloth and pat them dry.
- Place the onions in a clean, dry bowl and sprinkle the salt over them. Cover the bowl with cling-wrap and allow these to stand for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- The following day, combine the sugar, coriander seed, mustard seed and black peppercorns. Place these in a pot along with the white wine vinegar. Bring this to a boil, lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap the onions and rinse the salt off with cold water. Transfer the onions to sterilized jars.
- Strain the vinegar mixture through a sieve. Place the jars of onions in a pan of hot water and pour the vinegar solution into the jars until the onions are covered.
- Close the jars and allow them to cool in the pan. Once cooled, place the jars in a cool, dry place to age for at least 2 months before opening. After opening the jars, they should be stored in the refrigerator.