Apple Wood Smoked Chicken Thighs - Part 4 of Curing & Smoking Meats - Smoke Daddy Smoke Generator!!!
Recipe type: Chicken / Poultry / Barbecue / Smoked Meats
These apple-wood smoked chicken thighs are absolutely amazing and will certainly have your guests talking for ages.
- 8-12 Chicken thighs
- 60ml Syrup (corn syrup, cane syrup or honey)
- 30ml White wine vinegar
- Peppadew Piquant Pepper & Cilantro Seasoning (if you can't find this look below for the homemade version which will closely approximate the taste)
For the Homemade Rub
- 15ml Fine Himalayan Salt - or any non-iodated salt
- 30ml Red Bell Pepper Falkes
- 10ml Onion Powder
- 10ml Garlic Powder
- 30ml Powdered Dried Cilantro Leaves
- 10ml Chilli Flakes
- 5ml Ground Black Pepper
- 10ml Lemon Pepper
- 10ml Powdered Sugar
- For the coating, pour the syrup and white wine vinegar into a jug and mix until totally combined. You can use cane syrup, corn syrup or even honey.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large mixing bowl and pour the syrup mixture over the chicken. Mix the chicken around in the bowl until everything is well coated.
- Cover the bowl and allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a rack in a pan and sprinkle both sides of the thighs liberally with the seasoning. I am using my favorite Peppadew Cilantro seasoning. Peppedew products are sold in USA, UK and Australia, but if you can't find it, I have included a home made version in the printable recipe above.
- Lift the rack up and balance it diagonally across the corners of the pan. This will allow the smoke to reach the underside of the chicken effectively, while the pan becomes a drip-tray.
- Load up your smoker with apple wood chunks and bring it up to a temperature of 135c or 275f. Place the chicken in the smoker and allow this to smoke for 2 to 2.5hrs until the internal temperature reaches 76c or 170f. Use a reliable probe thermometer to measure the internal temperature, and measure from the thickest part of the largest thigh.
- Remove the amazingly aromatic and tasty thighs from the smoker and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.