American Crispy, Light & Airy Donuts!
Recipe type: Dessert / Cake
These donuts are light and crispy, made from a super-quick dough using baking powder and egg as the raising agent.
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 30g Butter, melted
- 1 Cup milk
- 15ml Vanilla extract
- 600g All-purpose flour
- 45ml Baking powder
- 1 Tbs ground nutmeg
- 7.5ml Salt
- The ingredients are divided into 3 sets and should be measured and ready before you start. The first set is the sugar and eggs. The second set, the melted butter, vanilla extract and milk. The third set, the all-purpose flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your mixer and beat them together for 2 to 3 minutes until light and creamy.
- Pour in the melted butter, milk and vanilla. Allow this to mix until totally combined.
- Replace the beaters with dough hooks and pour the flour mixture into the bowl. Mix the dough until everything is well combined. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and sprinkle more flour over the top of the dough as well.
- Start compressing and folding the dough over and over, sprinkling with extra flour every time it becomes too sticky.
- Continue to knead the dough lightly for about 3 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 10mm or just less than a half inch. If you don't have a donut cutter use a tumbler or a food mold to cut out circles. Pull away the off-cuts, re-roll them and cut out more circles.
- To make the holes, poke skewer or chopstick into the center of the circle. Start swivelling the chopstick around until the hole has stretched to the desired size.
- Heat a half-filled pan of oil to 180c or 350f and carefully drop the donuts into the oil. Fry the donuts for 4 minutes, turning every minute to ensure even coloring.
- Remove the donuts from the oil, drain on kitchen paper and proceed with your preferred decorations, whether icing sugar, caster sugar or glaze.