How to Make Indian Naan Bread. Homemade Naan Bread Recipe - Pan Grilled
Recipe type: Bread / Flatbread
Indian Naan Bread has become increasingly popular in the West. Traditionally baked in a Tandoori oven, this recipe shows you how to make your Naan Bread in a pan.
- 5ml Instant yeast
- 5ml Honey
- 125ml Warm water
- 45g Melted ghee (clarified butter)
- 60ml Plain yogurt
- Cumin seeds
- 250g Strong white bread flour
- 2.5ml Salt
- Place the yeast in a jug and add the honey and the warm water. Stir this to combine and put it aside to activate for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add 15ml of the melted ghee to the yeast mixture along with the yogurt, and stir this until well combined.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the flour. Using a wooden paddle mix this until a dough comes together and it cones away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover the bowl with cling-wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, knock the dough back, knead it briefly and divide it into 6 equal portions.
- Roll the portions into balls and flatter them into discs of 15mm in thickness. Sprinkle the discs with cumin seeds and press these lightly into the surface.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and grill the naan for 3 minutes per side until well risen and crispy browned.
- Remove the flat breads from the pan and serve as an accompaniment to your curry.