Vegetarian & Vegan KFC "Chicken" Strips. Deep-Fried Gluten Strips KFC-Style!!!
Recipe type: Vegetarian / Vegan
Some time ago I did a popular recipe using gluten called mock duck. Today we're going to use gluten to replace the chicken in a vegetarian rendition of KFC chicken tenders.
The Herb & Spice Mix
- 7.5ml Paprika
- 5ml Salt
- 2.5ml Dried sage
- 2.5ml Garlic powder
- 2.5ml Dried oregano
- 2.5ml Cayenne pepper
- 2.5ml Crushed black pepper
- 2.5ml Dried basil
- 2.5ml Dried marjoram
- 2.5ml Dried coriander leaf
- 5ml Ground allspice
- 1 Portion prepared gluten (350g)
- 1½ Cups All-purpose flour
- Milk (or substitute for cold vegetable stock)
- Flatten the gluten out across a platter. Mill the herbs and spices in your spice mill until fine and pour the powder into a sprinkle bottle. Sprinkle an even coating of the herbs and spices across both sides of the gluten.
- Place the gluten in your refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- In a bowl combine the flour with the remaining herb and spice mixture. Half fill a second bowl with full cream milk (or cold vegetable stock)
- In addition, sprinkle a layer of the seasoned flour over the surface of a large platter. This layer will prevent the coated gluten from sticking to the platter while it sets.
- Remove the gluten from your refrigerator and cut it into manageable strips of about an inch in width and 3 to 4 inches in length.
- To coat the strips, dip them in the milk (or cold stock), dredge them in the seasoned flour to get a good solid coating, then transfer them to the coated platter to set. Allow the coated strips to set for 20 minutes.
- Half fill a wok or pot with oil and heat this to 160c or 320f.
- Carefully drop the strips into oil in batches and fry them for 4 to 5 minutes until the are golden. Remove the strips from the oil, drain any excess oil on kitchen paper and serve immediately.