Chinese Steamed Hoisin Pork Buns on the Barbecue. How to Make Steamed Buns on Your Barbecue.
Recipe type: Steamed Buns
Just 1 quick trick and you can make your Chinese steamed buns on your gas barbecue. Making the steamed buns is quick and easy, and the aromatic flavorful buns will have your guests talking for weeks!!!
For the Dough
- 300g All-purpose flour
- 15ml Baking powder
- 110g Caster sugar
- 125ml Milk
- 80ml Water
- 60ml Oil
For the Hoisin Pork Filling
- 250g Pork loin
- 125g Streaky bacon
- 10ml Garlic
- 10ml Ginger
- 1 Small carrot
- 30ml Hoisin sauce
- 15ml Oyster sauce
- 15ml Cornflour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and caster sugar.
- In a jug, whisk the milk, water and oil together, then pour this into the mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden paddle, mix this until a smooth dough comes together. The dough will be soft and very sticky.
- Turn this out onto a well floured work surface and sprinkle more flour over the top of the dough. Start kneading, stretching and folding the dough, sprinkling more flour on every time it becomes sticky.
- When the dough smooth and is no longer sticky it is ready wrap in clingwrap. Place the dough in your refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- While the dough rests, place the pork, bacon, garlic, ginger, carrot, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and cornflour in your food processor and zap this until it is finely chopped.
- Unwrap the dough and roll it into a long sausage. Divide the sausage into 4. Roll each of these into a sausage and divide these into 4, giving a total of 16 pieces.
- Working with one piece, flatten this into a disc on a lightly floured work surface. Then extend and thin the edges of the disc.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling into the center of the disc. Pull and stretch the edges of the disc up and over the filling to meet at the top. Twist the edges at the top to seal the bun.
- Continue with the rest of the buns. Transfer the buns to your bamboo steamer, each one on top of a small square of baking parchment. For 16 buns you will need to use both tiers of your steamer, or steam 2 batches.
- Remove the grill racks from your barbecue and place a cooling rack across the flame tamers of 2 of the burners. Light the 2 burners.
- Place your wok on top of the rack and half fill it with boiling kettle water.
- Once the water comes back to a boil, place the steamer on top of the wok. Allow this to steam for 30 minutes. This timing is slightly longer than usual because the temperature is slightly lower than that of a wok burner.
- Remove the steamer from the wok, transfer the buns to serving platters and brush them with roasted sesame oil before serving.