Wild Boar Pie - Rich Venison Pie - Part 1 - How to Make the Wild Boar Pie Filling
Recipe type: Pie / Venison / Pork
Wild boar can be tough, and in most cases needs special preparation to make it tender and tasty. A little marinating and slow simmering in red wine gives you a premium result!!!
- 850g Wild boar meat, cut into small cubes
- 10g Aromat / Flavormate / Aromex
- 2.5ml White pepper
- 15ml Sugar
- 5ml Ground coriander seed
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 50ml White wine vinegar
- 1 x Large onion, diced
- 2 Large carrots, roll cut
- 50g Butter
- 250ml Chicken stock mixed with 250ml water
- 250ml Red wine
- 30ml Flour dissolved in 30ml water
- Place the cubed meat in a mixing bowl and add the white pepper, coriander, nutmeg, flavormate, sugar and white wine vinegar. Massage this into the meat thoroughly then allow this to marinate for 60 minutes in your refrigerator.
- In the meantime, roll-cut the carrots and dice a large onion.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add the butter. Fry the meat for 15 to 20 minutes until it is almost dry.
- Add the onions and carrots and continue to fry this for a further 20 minutes.
- In a jug, combine the chicken stock with the red wine and stir this together.
- Add the wine mixture to the pan, bring this to a boil, lower the heat and simmer the pan for 60 minutes. The liquid will have reduced by 3 quarters at this stage.
- Combine the flour and water and pour this into the pan. Allow this to cook for 60 to 90 seconds, until the sauce has thickened to a thick glossy gravy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow this to cool completely before moving on to the next episode.