KFC Popcorn Chicken Secret Recipe - How to Make KFC Popcorn Chicken - The REAL Deal!!!
Recipe type: Fast Food / KFC Secret Recipe
KFC Fried chicken is legendary!!! KFC Popcorn Chicken, unlike most other KFC products does appear different from country to country, however it all has that legendary KFC flavor and aftertaste. In some markets it appears that the popcorn is coated with corn meal instead of the normal flour coating. This recipe covers the traditional and original KFC Popcorn Chicken Recipe, using wheat flour coating.
For the Spice Mix
- 15ml Paprika
- 10ml Salt
- 5ml Dried Sage
- 5ml Garlic powder
- 5ml Dried oregano
- 5ml Cayenne pepper
- 5ml Ground black pepper
- 5ml Dried basil
- 5ml Dried marjoram
- 5ml Dried coriander leaves
For the Curing Brine
- 100g Non-Iodated salt
- 1 Tsp whole black peppercorns
- 5 Whole allspice
- 12.5g Saltpeter
- 5ml Ground ginger
- 50g Sugar
- 15g Bicarbonate of soda
- 2.5lt Filtered water
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Extra cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- Oil to deep-fry
- To make the curing solution, place the salt, whole peppercorns, whole allspice, saltpeter, ground ginger, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a pot along with half of the herb and spice mix.
- Add 2.5lt of filtered water and bring this to a simmer over medium heat. Allow this to simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and quick cool the pot by floating it in a sink of cold water.
- While the brine cools, cut the chicken into small cubes of about 8mm or a third of an inch.
- Place the chicken in a large non-reactive container and pour the cooled curing brine. Put the lid on the container and allow this to cure overnight in your refrigerator.
- The following day, combine the other half of the herb and spice blend with 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- In addition, pour 1 cup of plain all-purpose flour into another dish and beat the eggs. Sprinkle a light layer of flour onto a large platter where the coated chicken will set.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the chicken from the brine. To coat the popcorn, dust the chicken bits in the plain flour.
- Dunk each one in the egg, the toss them in the seasoned flour to get a good coating.
- Transfer these to the platter and continue with the rest. Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 160c or 320f.
- Carefully drop the popcorn into the oil and fry this in batches for 5 minutes per batch. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the oil and drain it on kitchen paper before serving