Snack Platter Catering - Part 20 - Chilli Bites, Deep Fried Chilli Puffs - Quick, Easy & Delicious!!!
Recipe type: Snack Food / Finger Food / Superbowl
This recipe is real lifesaver when you're catering for larger numbers. Chilli bites are dead simple to make, and although they can't be prepared long before the time, they are really quick.
Makes 40-50 Chilli Bites
- 3 Cups Chickpea flour
- ½ Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1½ Cups Water
- ½ Cup Chopped coriander
- 3 Chillis, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tsp Toasted cumin seeds
- 1 Tbs Chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Garam masala
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Combine the chickpea flower and the bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped coriander, chopped chillis, chopped spring onion, chopped onion, toasted cumin seeds, chilli powder, salt and garam masala. Mix these into the flour.
- Pour in the water and stir this to a thick batter. For the best result, allow the batter to stand for 15 minutes before proceeding with frying.
- Half fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 170c or 340f.
- Carefully drop slightly heaped tablespoons of the batter into the oil. Allow the chilli bites to fry for 4 minutes until golden, turning halfway through.
- Remove the puffs from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen paper. Continue with second batch of puffs until all them are fried.
- Transfer the bites to platters and serve hot or cold.