Snack Platter Catering - Part 14 - Traditional Indian Sev - Spicy Deep-Fried Chickpea Noodles
Recipe type: Snack Food / Finger Food / Party Food / Superbowl Snacks
In the realm of snack platter catering, Sev is another lifesaver recipe that can be made way in advance in any quantity. This spicy deep-fried chickpea noodle is an all-time favorite at parties!!!
- 1 Cup Chickpea flour
- 1.25ml Tsp Fine black pepper
- 2.5ml Salt
- 1.25ml Turmeric
- 1.24ml Chilli powder
- 15ml Hot oil
- 60ml Water
- Place the chickpea flour, black pepper, salt, turmeric, and chilli powder in a mixing bowl. Stir this together until combined.
- Measure the oil in a small measuring glass. Place the glass in a bowl and pour boiling water into the bowl to surround the oil. Allow the oil to heat up for 3 minutes.
- Pour the oil into the flour mixture and stir this in until totally combined, and the flour resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Pour in half of the water and stir this in until totally combined.
- Pour in the rest of the water and stir this in until you have a thick sticky paste, resembling peanut butter.
- Rub your hands with oil and compress and work the dough into a smooth ball. For the best results, let this rest for 30 minutes before continuing.
- In the meantime, half fill a large pan with oil and heat this to 190c or 375f and rub a coating of oil onto the inside and outside of your potato ricer.
- Once the oil reaches temperature, load the dough into the ricer and press this over the oil. As the dough comes to an end, you may have to cut the hanging strands off from the surface of the ricer using a knife.
- Allow the noodles to fry for 2 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove the noodles using a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen paper.
- Allow the sev to cool for 15 minutes before separating and breaking into manageable strands. Some of strands may be stuck together, but they will come apart during this process.
- If you double or triple this recipe, divide the dough accordingly and process in batches.
- Transfer the sev to serving nowls and serve as required. To store pre-prepared sev, place it in air tight containers in a cool place.