Snack Platter Catering - Part 9 - Creamy Tarragon Chicken Mini Top Hat Pies
Recipe type: Finger foods / Snack Foods / Poultry
Tarragon chicken mini top hat pies are really quick and easy to make, and the components can be made well ahead of time and assembled just before serving.
For 40 Mini Top Hat Pies
- 500g Chicken breast
- 7.5ml Dried tarragon
- 2.5ml Garlic powder
- 100ml Double cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- One batch of flaky pastry
- 30g Butter
- 1 Egg
- Roll your pastry out to a thickness of 3mm. Cut the pastry into 80 squares of 40mm, or 1.5 inches.
- Place the squares on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush them with an egg wash consisting of an egg yolk whisked together with a tablespoon of water.
- Bake the pastries in a preheated oven at 200c or 400f for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- While the pastry bakes, cut the chicken breast into strips a quarter inch thick across the grain. Measure out the dried tarragon, garlic powder and the double cream.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add 30g of butter. Fry the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes until just cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a chopping board and cut it into small cubes.
- Transfer the cubed chicken to a bowl and mix in the tarragon and garlic powder.
- Return the chicken to the pan and fry briefly before pouring in the cream. Stir this briefly to heat the cream through and remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon a teaspoon of the chicken onto 40 of the pastry squares. Top these with the remaining 40 squares and serve immediately. They also taste great served cold.