How to Make Lemon Cheese. Homemade Lemon Cheese / Paneer - Quick and Easy!!!
Recipe type: Cheese
Lemon cheese is quick and easy to make at home, and requires no specialised equipment or ingredients. You can use lemon cheese as you would use any cream cheese, or for the most amazing cheesecake.
- 4lt / 1 Gallon + 1 cup full cream milk
- Approx. 150ml lemon juice
- Cheese salt / Kosher salt (optional)
- Herbs (optional)
- 100ml Cream or Cultured sour cream (optional)
- Pour 4 liters or 1 gallon plus a cup full of full cream milk into a large pot over medium heat. Heat this stirring regularly until the milk reaches a temperature of 80c or 175f.
- Pour in half of the lemon juice. You will see the curds forming almost immediately. Pour in the remaining lemon juice little by little until there is a clear separation between the curds and whey. Turn the heat off.
- The whey must be clear. Allow the curds to set undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Place a large colander in your sink and line it with cheese cloth or butter muslin. If you don't have either of these, you can use any finely woven, clean fabric.
- Pour the curds and whey into the colander. Fold the corners of the cloth over the curds, place a clean plate on top of this and weigh it down with about 5 lbs of weight, or about 2.5kg.
- Leave this to drain for 30 minutes.
- After the draining time, unwrap the cheese and place it in a bowl. Add cheese salt or kosher salt to taste, and any herbs or spices of your choice. If you intend using the cheese for cheesecake, leave the cheese unsalted and unflavored. If you want the cheese to be spreadable, add 100ml of cream or cultured sour cream and stir this in thoroughly.
- As a serving suggestion, use your burger press to mold the cheese on a serving platter. Scatter the platter with crisps and drizzle the cheese with a splash of fruit chutney or sweet chilli sauce and serve immediately.