Deep-Fried Calamari / Squid Heads. How to Prepare, Coat and Deep-Fry Calamari Tentacles.
Recipe type: Seafood / Calamari
Calamari heads / Tentacles are popular across the entire Mediterranean region. They are prepared in many ways from grilled to pickled. Here we're coating the heads in a light batter and frying them to golden perfection.
- 250g Squid heads
- 2 Eggs
- 60g Tapioca flour
- 2.5ml Salt
- Inspect the calamari heads. In most cases, the beak will still be present. It is a hard piece of transparent material. Cut this away and discard it.
- In a jug, combine the tapioca flour, salt and eggs. Whisk this thoroughly until you have silky smooth batter.
- Place the squid heads in a bowl and pour the batter over. Mix the heads in until everything is well coated.
- Half fill your wok with oil and heat this to 190c or 375f.
- Carefully drop the heads into the oil one by one. Fry the squid for 3 minutes until crisp and lightly golden. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat this until all of the calamari is fried.
- Serve the calamari immediately with rice and lemon wedges and any other accompaniments of your choice.